\ɡˈalvənˌɪzəm], \ɡˈalvənˌɪzəm], \ɡ_ˈa_l_v_ə_n_ˌɪ_z_ə_m]\
Definitions of GALVANISM
- 2010 - New Age Dictionary Database
- 1913 - Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
- 1919 - The Winston Simplified Dictionary
- 1920 - A practical medical dictionary.
- 1894 - The Clarendon dictionary
- 1919 - The Concise Standard Dictionary of the English Language
- 1914 - Nuttall's Standard dictionary of the English language
- 1874 - Etymological and pronouncing dictionary of the English language
- 1846 - Medical lexicon: a dictionary of medical science
- 1916 - Appleton's medical dictionary
- 1871 - The Cabinet Dictionary of the English Language
Sort: Oldest first
By Oddity Software
By Noah Webster.
By William Dodge Lewis, Edgar Arthur Singer
By Stedman, Thomas Lathrop
By William Hand Browne, Samuel Stehman Haldeman
By James Champlin Fernald
The department of electrical science which treats of currents of electricity as due to chemical action, especially that of acids on metals.
By Nuttall, P.Austin.
By Stormonth, James, Phelp, P. H.
Called after Galvani. A series of phenomena, consisting in sensible movements, executed by animal parts, which are endowed with irritability, when placed in connexion with two metallic plates of different nature, between which a communication is established by direct contact or by means of a metallic wire. Galvanism has been employed medicinally in the same cases as electricity, and especially in neuralgic affections. It is often applied in the form of plates,-" Mansford's plates." In asthma, for example, a small blister, the size of a dollar, may be placed on the neck over the course of the phrenic and pneumogastric nerves, and another on the side, in the region of the diaphragm. One metal is placed mediately or immediately over the vesicated surface on the neck, and another over that in the side. They are then connected by means of a wire. The new nervous impression, in this way induced, is often signally beneficial.
By Robley Dunglison
By Smith Ely Jelliffe
Word of the day
- Oberlin, Ohio, 1833 as the "Collegiate Institute," but changed name in 1850. It founded by Congregationalists. Its theological department was opened 1835.