\sˌuːpəsˈɪli͡əm], \sˌuːpəsˈɪliəm], \s_ˌuː_p_ə_s_ˈɪ_l_iə_m]\
Definitions of SUPERCILIUM
- 1920 - A practical medical dictionary.
- 1898 - Warner's pocket medical dictionary of today.
- 1914 - Nuttall's Standard dictionary of the English language
- 1899 - The american dictionary of the english language.
- 1846 - Medical lexicon: a dictionary of medical science
- 1898 - American pocket medical dictionary
- 1916 - Appleton's medical dictionary
Sort: Oldest first
By Stedman, Thomas Lathrop
By Daniel Lyons
Same etymon. The eyebrows (Sc.) Brees, (Prov.) Eye-breen, are two arched eminences, - convex above, and more or less prominent, according to the individual, - which lie on the superciliary arch of the os frontis, above the eyelids, and extend from the sides of the root of the nose to the temple. Their inner extremity or j head is more prominent than the outer or tail. The eyebrows are covered with short and stiff hairs, which are directed, obliquely, from within outwards, and are, commonly, of the colour of the hair. The skin in which these hairs are implanted, rests on the orbicularis palpebrarum, frontalis, and superciliaris muscles, which move the eyebrows in different directions. The eyebrows serve as an ornament to the countenance; and by covering the eye defend it from the impression of too strong a light. They direct the perspiration also from the eye.
By Robley Dunglison
The eyebrow; an arched eminence of integument which surmounts the upper border of the orbit and supports numerous short, thick hairs, directed obliquely to the surface. It consists of thickened integument connected beneath with the orbicularis palpebrarum, corrugator supercilii, and occipitofrontalis.
By Smith Ely Jelliffe
Word of the day
Kingdom Of Saudi arabia
- a kingdom occupying most of Arabian Peninsula in southwest Asia; vast oil reserves dominate the economy an absolute monarchy occupying most of Arabian Peninsula in southwest Asia; vast oil reserves dominate the economy