\ɐfˈe͡ɪzi͡ə], \ɐfˈeɪziə], \ɐ_f_ˈeɪ_z_iə]\
Definitions of APHASIA
- 2010 - Medical Dictionary Database
- 1920 - A practical medical dictionary.
- 1898 - Warner's pocket medical dictionary of today.
- 1899 - The american dictionary of the english language.
- 1919 - The Concise Standard Dictionary of the English Language
- 1914 - Nuttall's Standard dictionary of the English language
- 1898 - American pocket medical dictionary
- 1916 - Appleton's medical dictionary
Sort: Oldest first
A cognitive disorder marked by an impaired ability to comprehend or express language in its written or spoken form. This condition is caused by diseases which affect the language areas of the dominant hemisphere. Clinical features are used to classify the various subtypes of this condition. General categories include receptive, expressive, and mixed forms of aphasia.
By DataStellar Co., Ltd
By Stedman, Thomas Lathrop
By William R. Warner
In pathol. a symptom of certain morbid conditions of the nervous system, in which the patient loses the power of expressing ideas by means of words, or loses the appropriate use of words, the vocal organs the while remaining intact and the intelligence sound. There is sometimes an entire loss of words as connected with ideas, and sometimes only the loss of a few. In one form of the disease, called APHEMIA, the patient can think and write, but cannot speak; in another, called AGRAPHIA, he can think and speak, but cannot express Ms ideas in writing. In a great majority of cases where post-mortem examinations have been made, morbid changes have been found in the left frontal convolution of the brain.
By Daniel Lyons
By James Champlin Fernald
By Nuttall, P.Austin.
By Willam Alexander Newman Dorland
Word of the day
- (botany) the development of a fruit without fertilization or seeds
- a (, n. the state of being a [r.] de quincey.
- a (a) a shed for housing an airship or a (b) a ground or field, esp. one equipped with housing and other facilities, used for flying purposes. -- a` (#), a.
- a 1. the act of combining air with another substance, or the state of being filled with air.
- a 1. to infuse air into; to combine air with.
- a a club or association of persons interested in a