SHAFTESBURY, ANTHONY ASHLEY COOPER, EARL OF
\ʃˈaftsbɹɪ], \ʃˈaftsbɹɪ], \ʃ_ˈa_f_t_s_b_ɹ_ɪ]\
Definitions of SHAFTESBURY, ANTHONY ASHLEY COOPER, EARL OF
Sort: Oldest first
(1621-1683), was one of the nine proprietors who received a grant of Carolina in 1663, extending from the Virginia frontier to the river St. Mathias in Florida. He was prominent in the management of the colony, and secured for it the constitution drafted by Locke in 1667. It established a territorial aristocracy with the proprietors at the head, granting religious toleration. Shaftesbury was a famous party-leader in England, and was Lord Chancellor from 1672 to 1673.
By John Franklin Jameson
Word of the day
- Relating to ribs and transverse processes of the vertebrae articulating with them. Lying between ribs and transverse process of the vertebrae.
- shaft louse
- shaft of light
- shaft vision
- Shaftesbury, Anthony Ashley Cooper, Earl of
- s (2 aminoethyl)isothiourea
- s (carboxymethyl) l cysteine
- s (n (3 aminopropyl) 2 aminoethyl)thiophosphoric acid
- s 100 protein