\pɹɪtˈɛns], \pɹɪtˈɛns], \p_ɹ_ɪ_t_ˈɛ_n_s]\
Definitions of PRETENCE
- 2006 - WordNet 3.0
- 2011 - English Dictionary Database
- 2010 - New Age Dictionary Database
- 1899 - The american dictionary of the english language.
- 1914 - Nuttall's Standard dictionary of the English language
- 1874 - Etymological and pronouncing dictionary of the English language
- 1871 - The Cabinet Dictionary of the English Language
Sort: Oldest first
By Princeton University
By DataStellar Co., Ltd
The act of laying claim; the claim laid; assumption; pretension.
The act of holding out, or offering, to others something false or feigned; presentation of what is deceptive or hypocritical; deception by showing what is unreal and concealing what is real; false show; simulation; as, pretense of illness; under pretense of patriotism; on pretense of revenging Caesar's death.
By Oddity Software
By Daniel Lyons
By Nuttall, P.Austin.
By Stormonth, James, Phelp, P. H.