\pɹɪsbˈa͡ɪtəɹɪ], \pɹɪsbˈaɪtəɹɪ], \p_ɹ_ɪ_s_b_ˈaɪ_t_ə_ɹ_ɪ]\
Definitions of PRESBYTERY
- 2010 - New Age Dictionary Database
- 1919 - The Winston Simplified Dictionary
- 1899 - The american dictionary of the english language.
- 1919 - The Concise Standard Dictionary of the English Language
- 1914 - Nuttall's Standard dictionary of the English language
- 1874 - Etymological and pronouncing dictionary of the English language
- 1871 - The Cabinet Dictionary of the English Language
Sort: Oldest first
A judicatory consisting of all the ministers within a certain district, and one layman, who is a ruling elder, from each parish or church, commissioned to represent the church in conjunction with the pastor. This body has a general jurisdiction over the churches under its care, and next below the provincial synod in authority.
By Oddity Software
By William Dodge Lewis, Edgar Arthur Singer
By Daniel Lyons
By James Champlin Fernald
By Nuttall, P.Austin.
By Stormonth, James, Phelp, P. H.
n. A body of elders in the Christian Church;-a judicatory consisting of all the pastors of churches within a certain district, and one ruling elder, a layman, from each parish or church ; in church architecture, the space between the high altar and the easternmost end of the choir ;-also, the part between the choir and the lady chapel in a Cathedral church.