\nˈe͡ɪvə͡l ɐkˈadəmi], \nˈeɪvəl ɐkˈadəmi], \n_ˈeɪ_v_əl ɐ_k_ˈa_d_ə_m_i]\
Sort: Oldest first
This institution was not founded by formal legislation, but was begun by the Navy Department when George Bancroft was Secretary of the Navy. The first act of Congress regarding it was that of August 10, 1846, providing $28,200 for repairs, improvements and instruction under the direction of the Navy Department at Fort Severn, Annapolis, MD. In March, 1847, a like sum was appropriated for the same purpose. During the Civil War the Academy was for a time located at Newport, RI.
By John Franklin Jameson
Word of the day
- Preparation of copaiba, cubebs, spirit nitrous ether, and liquor potassae. See under Lafayette.