\kənsˈɛpʃən], \kənsˈɛpʃən], \k_ə_n_s_ˈɛ_p_ʃ_ə_n]\
Definitions of CONCEPTION
- 2006 - WordNet 3.0
- 2011 - English Dictionary Database
- 2010 - New Age Dictionary Database
- 1919 - The Winston Simplified Dictionary
- 1920 - A practical medical dictionary.
- 1898 - Warner's pocket medical dictionary of today.
- 1899 - The american dictionary of the english language.
- 1894 - The Clarendon dictionary
- 1919 - The Concise Standard Dictionary of the English Language
- 1914 - Nuttall's Standard dictionary of the English language
- 1874 - Etymological and pronouncing dictionary of the English language
- 1846 - Medical lexicon: a dictionary of medical science
- 1898 - American pocket medical dictionary
- 1916 - Appleton's medical dictionary
- 1871 - The Cabinet Dictionary of the English Language
- 1790 - A Complete Dictionary of the English Language
Sort: Oldest first
By Oddity Software
By William Dodge Lewis, Edgar Arthur Singer
By Stedman, Thomas Lathrop
By Daniel Lyons
By William Hand Browne, Samuel Stehman Haldeman
By James Champlin Fernald
By Nuttall, P.Austin.
By Stormonth, James, Phelp, P. H.
The impregnation of the ovum by the positive contact of the male sperm, whence results a new being. The whole subject of conception is most mysterious. It seems to occur as follows. During the sexual union, the male sperm passes along the uterus and Fallopian tubes: the fimbriated extremities of the latter seize hold of the ovarium; and the sperm in this manner comes in contact with a maturated ovum, and impregnates it. The fecundated ovum remains some time in the ovarium, but at length bursts its covering, is laid hold of by the fimbriated extremity of the Fallopian tubes, and passes along the tube into the cavity of the uterus, where it remains for the full period of utero-gestation. Some are of opinion, that the ovum is not impregnated until it has entered the Fallopian tube, or uterus.
By Robley Dunglison
By Willam Alexander Newman Dorland
An idea; an hypothesis.
By Smith Ely Jelliffe
Word of the day
Brazilian Pepper Tree
- small Brazilian evergreen resinous tree or shrub having dark green leaflets and white flowers followed by bright red fruit; used as a street lawn specimen