\ˈɔːɹə], \ˈɔːɹə], \ˈɔː_ɹ_ə]\
Definitions of AURA
- 2010 - New Age Dictionary Database
- 1913 - Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
- 2010 - Medical Dictionary Database
- 1919 - The Winston Simplified Dictionary
- 1920 - A practical medical dictionary.
- 1898 - Warner's pocket medical dictionary of today.
- 1874 - Etymological and pronouncing dictionary of the English language
- 1846 - Medical lexicon: a dictionary of medical science
- 1898 - American pocket medical dictionary
- 1916 - Appleton's medical dictionary
Sort: Oldest first
By Oddity Software
By Noah Webster.
A disorder characterized by recurrent episodes of paroxysmal brain dysfunction due to a sudden, disorderly, and excessive neuronal discharge. Epilepsy classification systems are generally based upon: (1) clinical features of the seizure episodes (e.g., motor seizure), (2) etiology (e.g., post-traumatic), (3) anatomic site of seizure origin (e.g., frontal lobe seizure), (4) tendency to spread to other structures in the brain, and (5) temporal patterns (e.g., nocturnal epilepsy). (From Adams et al., Principles of Neurology, 6th ed, p313)
By DataStellar Co., Ltd
By William Dodge Lewis, Edgar Arthur Singer
A peculiar sensation felt by the patient immediately preceding an epileptic attack; it may be a paresthesia in the epigastric region or in the hand or leg ascending to the head, noises in the ears, flashes of light, vertigo, etc.; it is called auditory, epigastric, vertiginous, etc., according to its seat or nature.
By Stedman, Thomas Lathrop
By William R. Warner
By Stormonth, James, Phelp, P. H.
A vapour or emanation from any body, surrounding it like an atmosphere. Van Helmont regarded the vital principle as a gas and volatile spirit, which he called Aura vitalis. In Pathology, Aura means the sensation of a light vapour, which, in some diseases, appears to set out from the trunk or limbs; and to rise towards the head. This feeling has been found to precede attacks of epilepsy and hysteria, and hence it has been called Aura Epileptica and A. hysterica.
By Robley Dunglison
By Willam Alexander Newman Dorland
By Smith Ely Jelliffe
Word of the day
- An insurance policy completed. The insurer has received their premium.
- a (, n. the state of being a [r.] de quincey.
- a (a) a shed for housing an airship or a (b) a ground or field, esp. one equipped with housing and other facilities, used for flying purposes. -- a` (#), a.
- a 1. the act of combining air with another substance, or the state of being filled with air.
- a 1. to infuse air into; to combine air with.
- a a club or association of persons interested in a