\ˈantɐsˌɪdz], \ˈantɐsˌɪdz], \ˈa_n_t_ɐ_s_ˌɪ_d_z]\
Definitions of ANTACIDS
Sort: Oldest first
Substances that counteract or neutralize acidity. They are used mainly for the treatment of gastrointestinal irritation or ulcers.
By DataStellar Co., Ltd
Remedies which obviate acidity in the stomach. They are chemical agents, and act by neutralizing the acid. Those chiefly used are ammonia, calcis carbonas, calx, magnesia, magnesia carbonas, potassa, potassae bicarbonas, p. carbonas, sodae bicarbonas, and s. carbonas. They are, of course, only palliatives, removing that which exists, not preventing the formation of more.
By Robley Dunglison
Word of the day
- See under Satin.
- a (, n. the state of being a [r.] de quincey.
- a (a) a shed for housing an airship or a (b) a ground or field, esp. one equipped with housing and other facilities, used for flying purposes. -- a` (#), a.
- a 1. the act of combining air with another substance, or the state of being filled with air.
- a 1. to infuse air into; to combine air with.
- a a club or association of persons interested in a