\ˈaŋɡəst͡ʃəɹə], \ˈaŋɡəstʃəɹə], \ˈa_ŋ_ɡ_ə_s_tʃ_ə_ɹ_ə]\
Definitions of ANGOSTURA
- 2006 - WordNet 3.0
- 2011 - English Dictionary Database
- 1914 - Nuttall's Standard dictionary of the English language
- 1908 - Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary of the English Language
- 1919 - The concise Oxford dictionary of current English
- 1916 - Appleton's medical dictionary
Sort: Oldest first
By Princeton University
By DataStellar Co., Ltd
By Nuttall, P.Austin.
ang-gos-t[=oo]'ra, n. a town of Venezuela, on the Orinoco (renamed Ciudad Bolivar in 1819), giving its name to an aromatic bitter bark, valuable as a febrifuge and tonic.--ANGOSTURA BITTERS is an essence containing angostura, canella, cinchona, lemon peel, and other aromatics, but much of what is sold under that name contains no angostura, but consists mainly of cheretta or other simple tonic.
By Thomas Davidson
By Sir Augustus Henry
Word of the day
- A kind waxy degeneration of the breast, so called by M. Alibert, but which appears be in no way allied to cancer.