\ˈama͡ɪləm], \ˈamaɪləm], \ˈa_m_aɪ_l_ə_m]\
Definitions of AMYLUM
- 2006 - WordNet 3.0
- 2010 - Medical Dictionary Database
- 1920 - A practical medical dictionary.
- 1920 - A dictionary of scientific terms (6th edition)
- 1846 - Medical lexicon: a dictionary of medical science
- 1900 - A dictionary of medicine and the allied sciences
- 1898 - American pocket medical dictionary
- 1916 - Appleton's medical dictionary
Sort: Oldest first
a complex carbohydrate found chiefly in seeds, fruits, tubers, roots and stem pith of plants, notably in corn, potatoes, wheat, and rice; an important foodstuff and used otherwise especially in adhesives and as fillers and stiffeners for paper and textiles
By Princeton University
Any of a group of polysaccharides of the general formula (C6-H10-O5)n, composed of a long-chain polymer of glucose in the form of amylose and amylopectin. It is the chief storage form of energy reserve (carbohydrates) in plants.
By DataStellar Co., Ltd
Starch; in U.S. cornstarch obtained from seed of Zea mays; in Br. this or starch from wheat, Triticum sativum, or rice, Oryza sativa; a white powder used as a dusting powder or as an excipient.
By Stedman, Thomas Lathrop
By J.H. Kenneth
It is insoluble in cold water and alcohol, but forms with boiling water a strong, semi-transparent jelly. It is demulcent, and is used as an emollient glyster, and as the vehicle for opium, when given per anum. Starch is met with abundantly in all the cereal grains^ in the stalks of many of the palms, in some lichens, and in many tuberous roots, particularly in the bulbs of the orchis.
By Robley Dunglison
Word of the day
- an iodide that is used photography, seeding clouds to make rain, and in medicine Argenti iodidum.
- a (, n. the state of being a [r.] de quincey.
- a (a) a shed for housing an airship or a (b) a ground or field, esp. one equipped with housing and other facilities, used for flying purposes. -- a` (#), a.
- a 1. the act of combining air with another substance, or the state of being filled with air.
- a 1. to infuse air into; to combine air with.
- a a club or association of persons interested in a