\ˈalkəlˌa͡ɪ mˈɛtə͡l], \ˈalkəlˌaɪ mˈɛtəl], \ˈa_l_k_ə_l_ˌaɪ m_ˈɛ_t_əl]\
Definitions of ALKALI MET´AL
Sort: Oldest first
One of a group of metallic elements comprising sodium, potassium, lithium, rubidium, and cesium. They are all univalent, and are distinguished by the strong basic properties of the oxids and the solubility of their salts in water. The radicle ammonium, (NH4), is often included in this group on account of the similarity of its reactions and the isomorphism of its salts with those of the metals of this class.
By Smith Ely Jelliffe
Word of the day
- See under Satin.
- alkali flat
- alkali grass
- alkali metal
- alkali metals
- alkali metaprotein
- alkali met´al
- a (, n. the state of being a [r.] de quincey.
- a (a) a shed for housing an airship or a (b) a ground or field, esp. one equipped with housing and other facilities, used for flying purposes. -- a` (#), a.
- a 1. the act of combining air with another substance, or the state of being filled with air.
- a 1. to infuse air into; to combine air with.
- a a club or association of persons interested in a