\aɡˈaɹɪk], \aɡˈaɹɪk], \a_ɡ_ˈa_ɹ_ɪ_k]\
Definitions of AGARIC
- 2006 - WordNet 3.0
- 2011 - English Dictionary Database
- 1920 - A practical medical dictionary.
- 1914 - Nuttall's Standard dictionary of the English language
- 1874 - Etymological and pronouncing dictionary of the English language
- 1846 - Medical lexicon: a dictionary of medical science
- 1898 - American pocket medical dictionary
- 1916 - Appleton's medical dictionary
- 1871 - The Cabinet Dictionary of the English Language
Sort: Oldest first
By DataStellar Co., Ltd
By Stedman, Thomas Lathrop
By Nuttall, P.Austin.
By Stormonth, James, Phelp, P. H.
Agar'icum, Agar'icus. A genus of plants in the Linnaean system, some of which are edible, others poisonous. It is supposed to have been so called from Agaria, a region of Sarmatia.-Dioscorides. Among the edible varieties of the Boletus, the following are the chief :-1. The Agar'icus edu'lis seu Arven'sis seu Sylvat'icus seu Campes'tris, (F.) Agaric comestible et champignon de couche. 2. The Agar'icus odora'tus, (F.) Mousseron. The most common poisonous varieties are the Agar'icus neca'tor, (F.) Agaric meurtrier; and, 2. The Agaricus acris, (F.) Agaric acre; besides the Auranite, a sub-genus, which includes several species. One of the most delicate is the Agaricus Aurantiacus, but care must be taken not to confound it with the A. Pseudo-aurantiacus, which is very poisonous. The A. aurantiacus is called, in French, Oronge. See Poisons, Table of.
By Robley Dunglison
By Willam Alexander Newman Dorland
By Smith Ely Jelliffe
Word of the day
- To raise; set up; stir up. Backward; in or to the rear; behindhand. a-r[=e]r', adv. in the rear. [A.S. pfx. a-, on, to, and REAR.]
- agar gel electrophoresis
- a (, n. the state of being a [r.] de quincey.
- a (a) a shed for housing an airship or a (b) a ground or field, esp. one equipped with housing and other facilities, used for flying purposes. -- a` (#), a.
- a 1. the act of combining air with another substance, or the state of being filled with air.
- a 1. to infuse air into; to combine air with.
- a a club or association of persons interested in a