\wˈe͡ɪt], \wˈeɪt], \w_ˈeɪ_t]\
Definitions of WAIT
- 2006 - WordNet 3.0
- 2011 - English Dictionary Database
- 2010 - New Age Dictionary Database
- 1913 - Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
- 1919 - The Concise Standard Dictionary of the English Language
- 1919 - The Winston Simplified Dictionary
- 1899 - The american dictionary of the english language.
- 1894 - The Clarendon dictionary
- 1914 - Nuttall's Standard dictionary of the English language
- 1874 - Etymological and pronouncing dictionary of the English language
- 1871 - The Cabinet Dictionary of the English Language
Sort: Oldest first
By Princeton University
By DataStellar Co., Ltd
By Oddity Software
By Noah Webster.
By James Champlin Fernald
By William Dodge Lewis, Edgar Arthur Singer
The act of waiting for something or somebody: as, after a long wait we were admitted: the act of waiting in concealment for the purpose of attacking; ambush; a kind of old night watchman: one of a band of musicians in the pay of a town corporation whose duties were at first to pipe or sound the hours and guard the streets, but subsequently to act merely as town's minstrels or musicians; "For as the custom prevails at present there is scarce a young man of any fashion in a corporation that does not make love with the town music; the waits often help him through his courtship."-Steele: at present, one of a band of musicians who promenade the streets during the night and early morning about Christmas or New-year time, performing music appropriate to the season: an old musical instrument of the hautboy or shawm kind; the name of the instrument may be from the waits, who chiefly performed on it.
By Daniel Lyons
By William Hand Browne, Samuel Stehman Haldeman
To stay in expectation: to stay proceedings in expectation; to rest in patient expectation; to stay; to continue by reason of hindrance; to lie in ambush. To wait on or upon, to attend, as a servant; to attend upon; to pay servile attendance; to follow. To wait at, to perform service at. To wait for, to watch, as an enemy.
By Nuttall, P.Austin.
By Stormonth, James, Phelp, P. H.