\vˈɪkə], \vˈɪkə], \v_ˈɪ_k_ə]\
Definitions of VICAR
- 2006 - WordNet 3.0
- 2011 - English Dictionary Database
- 2010 - New Age Dictionary Database
- 1913 - Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
- 1919 - The Winston Simplified Dictionary
- 1899 - The american dictionary of the english language.
- 1919 - The Concise Standard Dictionary of the English Language
- 1894 - The Clarendon dictionary
- 1914 - Nuttall's Standard dictionary of the English language
- 1874 - Etymological and pronouncing dictionary of the English language
- 1871 - The Cabinet Dictionary of the English Language
Sort: Oldest first
By Princeton University
By DataStellar Co., Ltd
By Noah Webster.
In the Roman Catholic Church, a member of the clergy representing one higher up; as, the Pope is said to be the Vicar of Christ, and is represented by a Vicar; in England, the priest of a parish of which the tithes are owned by a layman; in the Protestant Episcopal Church. a minister who is the head of one chapel in a large parish; also, a bishop's representative in charge of a church or mission.
By William Dodge Lewis, Edgar Arthur Singer
By Daniel Lyons
By James Champlin Fernald
By William Hand Browne, Samuel Stehman Haldeman
A person deputed or authorized to perform the functions of another; a substitute in office; the priest of a parish, the predial tithes of which are impropriated or appropriated, that is, belong to a chapter, or to a layman, who receives them, and only allows the vicar the smaller tithes or a salary.
By Nuttall, P.Austin.
By Stormonth, James, Phelp, P. H.
n. [French] One deputed or authorized to perform the functions of another; a substitute in officeâ€”the incumbent of an appropriated or impropriated benefice; the clergyman of a parish in which the tithes belong to a chapter, college, layman, who receive them, and allow out of them a salary to the clergyman.
Word of the day
magnetic storage medium
- any storage medium which different patterns magnetization are used to represent stored bits or bytes of information; "the hard disk in you computer is magnetic storage"