\stˈandəd], \stˈandəd], \s_t_ˈa_n_d_ə_d]\
Definitions of STANDARD
- 2006 - WordNet 3.0
- 2011 - English Dictionary Database
- 2010 - New Age Dictionary Database
- 1919 - The Winston Simplified Dictionary
- 1920 - A practical medical dictionary.
- 1898 - Warner's pocket medical dictionary of today.
- 1899 - The american dictionary of the english language.
- 1894 - The Clarendon dictionary
- 1919 - The Concise Standard Dictionary of the English Language
- 1914 - Nuttall's Standard dictionary of the English language
- 1874 - Etymological and pronouncing dictionary of the English language
- 1871 - The Cabinet Dictionary of the English Language
Sort: Oldest first
By Princeton University
By DataStellar Co., Ltd
By Oddity Software
By William Dodge Lewis, Edgar Arthur Singer
By Stedman, Thomas Lathrop
By Daniel Lyons
By William Hand Browne, Samuel Stehman Haldeman
Any established measure; a type, model, or example for comparison.
By James Champlin Fernald
That which is authoritatively established as a rule; that which is established by public opinion or custom; criterion; test; an ensign of war; a staff with a flag or colours; a measure by which the regulated height of recruits is ascertained; the proportion of weight of fine metal or alloy established by authority; a tree not supported or attached to a wall; an upright support; an inverted knee placed upon the deck instead of beneath it.
By Nuttall, P.Austin.
That which is established as a rule, measure, or model; a criterion; a test; that which is of undoubted excellence; a standing tree or stem, as distinguished from a wall-tree; in mil., an ensign; a staff and flag, or colours; in carpentry, an upright support; in shipbuilding, an inverted knee placed upon the deck instead of beneath it; in coinage, the proportion of weight of fine metal and alloy established by authority.
By Stormonth, James, Phelp, P. H.
n. [Anglo-Saxon, German, French] An ensign of war; a staff with a flag or colours; a banner; -that which is established by authority as a rule or measure of quantity; hence, the original weight or measure sanctioned by government ;-that which is established as a rule or model ; criterion ;-proportion of weight of fine metal and alloy established by authority ;-a standing tree or stem ;-an upright support ; any upright in framing.
Word of the day
- relating to covered with or resembling freckles Freckled; speckled; bearing numerous small dots. Affected with lentigo.