\ʃɐɡɹˈiːn], \ʃɐɡɹˈiːn], \ʃ_ɐ_ɡ_ɹ_ˈiː_n]\
Definitions of SHAGREEN
- 2010 - New Age Dictionary Database
- 1913 - Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
- 1899 - The american dictionary of the english language.
- 1894 - The Clarendon dictionary
- 1919 - The Concise Standard Dictionary of the English Language
- 1914 - Nuttall's Standard dictionary of the English language
- 1874 - Etymological and pronouncing dictionary of the English language
- 1871 - The Cabinet Dictionary of the English Language
Sort: Oldest first
By Oddity Software
By Noah Webster.
A species of leather prepared without tanning, from horse, ass, and camel skin, its granular appearance being given by imbedding in it, whilst soft, the seeds of a species of chenopodium, and afterwards shaving down the surface, and then by soaking causing the portions of the skin which had been indented by the seeds to swell up into relief. It is dyed with the green produced by the action of sal ammoniac on copper filings. It is also made of the skins of the shark, sea-otter, seal, etc. It was formerly much used for watch, spectacle, and instrument cases.
By Daniel Lyons
By William Hand Browne, Samuel Stehman Haldeman
By James Champlin Fernald
By Nuttall, P.Austin.
By Stormonth, James, Phelp, P. H.