\ʃˈɪst], \ʃˈɪst], \ʃ_ˈɪ_s_t]\
Definitions of SCHIST
- 1899 - The american dictionary of the english language.
- 1919 - The Concise Standard Dictionary of the English Language
- 1914 - Nuttall's Standard dictionary of the English language
- 1874 - Etymological and pronouncing dictionary of the English language
- 1871 - The Cabinet Dictionary of the English Language
Sort: Oldest first
By Daniel Lyons
By James Champlin Fernald
By Nuttall, P.Austin.
A term applied to the varieties of slate or slate-rock which may easily be split; the term should be restricted to such rocks as mica-schist, gneiss, and the like, which have a foliated structure, and which split up into thin irregular plates, and not by regular cleavage, as in the clay-slate or flagstones.
By Stormonth, James, Phelp, P. H.