\ɹˈɔ͡ɪə͡lti], \ɹˈɔɪəlti], \ɹ_ˈɔɪ_əl_t_i]\
Definitions of ROYALTY
- 2006 - WordNet 3.0
- 2011 - English Dictionary Database
- 2010 - New Age Dictionary Database
- 1913 - Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
- 1919 - The Winston Simplified Dictionary
- 1899 - The american dictionary of the english language.
- 1894 - The Clarendon dictionary
- 1919 - The Concise Standard Dictionary of the English Language
- 1914 - Nuttall's Standard dictionary of the English language
- 1874 - Etymological and pronouncing dictionary of the English language
- 1871 - The Cabinet Dictionary of the English Language
Sort: Oldest first
By Princeton University
By DataStellar Co., Ltd
By Oddity Software
By Noah Webster.
The state, station, birth, etc., of a king; person of a king or of one of sovereign rank; persons of sovereign rank collectively; kingly nature or quality; a tax paid to the crown, as a percentage of gold or silver mined, etc.; hence, a share of the product or profit (as of a mine, etc.) claimed by the owner for permitting another to use the property; a percentage paid to an inventor or author for the use of a patent or copyright.
By William Dodge Lewis, Edgar Arthur Singer
Kingship: the character, state, or office of a king: majesty: the person of the king or sovereign: in England the fixed sum paid to the crown or other proprietor, as on the produce of a mine, etc.: in U. S. a sum paid to the owner of a patent, copyright or other property in consideration of the right to make or use the article within certain limitations: kingdom.
By Daniel Lyons
By William Hand Browne, Samuel Stehman Haldeman
Regal authority; royal persons collectively.
By James Champlin Fernald
By Nuttall, P.Austin.
By Stormonth, James, Phelp, P. H.
n. [French] State of being royal; kingship; kingly office;- the person of a king or sovereign;â€” rights of a king;- royal prerogative;â€” kingdom; domain: province; sphere;- a tax or duty paid to the crown or government, as on the produce of a mine:â€”hence, a duty paid by one who uses the patent of another, at a certain rate for each article manufactured; or a percentage paid to the owner of an article or privilege by one who hires the use of it;â€” pl. Royalies, emblems of kingly authority; regalia;â€” the bounds of a royal burgh.
Word of the day
Marcy, Randolph B.
- (1812-1887), served Mexican War, and brevetted major-general for services during Civil War. From 1869 to 1881 he was inspector-general. published "Exploration of the Red River" in 1852.