\ˈa͡ɪktəɹəs], \ˈaɪktəɹəs], \ˈaɪ_k_t_ə_ɹ_ə_s]\
Definitions of ICTERUS
- 2010 - Medical Dictionary Database
- 1920 - A practical medical dictionary.
- 1898 - Warner's pocket medical dictionary of today.
- 1908 - Chambers's Twentieth Century Dictionary of the English Language
- 1846 - Medical lexicon: a dictionary of medical science
- 1900 - A dictionary of medicine and the allied sciences
- 1898 - American pocket medical dictionary
- 1916 - Appleton's medical dictionary
Sort: Oldest first
By DataStellar Co., Ltd
By Stedman, Thomas Lathrop
By William R. Warner
By Thomas Davidson
a species of weasel, whose eyes are yellow[?]. A disease, the principal symptom of which is yellowness of the skin and eyes, with white faeces and high-coloured urine. It admits of various causes; in fact, anything which can directly or indirectly obstruct the course of the bile, so that it is taken into the mass of blood and produces the yellowness of surface; - the bile being separated by the kidneys, causes yellowness of urine, and its being prevented from reaching the intestine occasions the pale-coloured faeces. The prognosis, in ordinary cases, is favourable; - when complicated with hepatic disease, unfavourable. The treatment is simple: - an emetic or purgative, given occasionally so as to elicit the return of the bile to its ordinary channels; light tonics; unirritating diet; cheerful company, etc.
By Robley Dunglison
By Alexander Duane
Word of the day
- Prohibition execution of actions certain party by legal authority, normally a court.