\ˈɛnd͡ʒɪn], \ˈɛndʒɪn], \ˈɛ_n_dʒ_ɪ_n]\
Definitions of ENGINE
- 2006 - WordNet 3.0
- 2011 - English Dictionary Database
- 2010 - New Age Dictionary Database
- 1913 - Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
- 1919 - The Winston Simplified Dictionary
- 1899 - The american dictionary of the english language.
- 1894 - The Clarendon dictionary
- 1914 - Nuttall's Standard dictionary of the English language
- 1874 - Etymological and pronouncing dictionary of the English language
- 1916 - Appleton's medical dictionary
- 1871 - The Cabinet Dictionary of the English Language
- 1790 - A Complete Dictionary of the English Language
Sort: Oldest first
By DataStellar Co., Ltd
By Oddity Software
By Noah Webster.
An apparatus for converting physical force, as heat, into mechanical power; a skilful mechanical contrivance.
By William Dodge Lewis, Edgar Arthur Singer
A complex and powerful machine, esp. a prime mover, a military machine: anything used to effect a purpose. In mech. any mechanical instrument of complicated parts, which concur in producing an intended effect: a machine for applying any of the mechanical or physical powers to effect a particular purpose: esp. a machine for applying steam to propel vessels, railway trains, etc.: a steam-engine.
By Daniel Lyons
By William Hand Browne, Samuel Stehman Haldeman
By Nuttall, P.Austin.
By Stormonth, James, Phelp, P. H.
n. [Latin] An instrument or tool in general;â€”any mechanical contrivance for producing and conveying motive power;â€”specifically, a complex mechanism of wheels, shafts, and cranks, to which motion is communicated by steam;â€”the mechanical apparatus by which steam power is concentrated and conveyed;â€”a military missile machine;â€”an instrument of torture; the rack;â€”a species of pump to play water upon a fire;â€”any means used to effect or compass an object;â€”an agent for another; a handle; a tool.
Word of the day
HLA A2 Antigen
- Human histocompatibility (HLA) surface encoded by locus on chromosome 6. The HLA-A2 antigen is associated with recognition of INFLUENZA A VIRUS.