\bˈʌt], \bˈʌt], \b_ˈʌ_t]\
Definitions of BUTT
- 2006 - WordNet 3.0
- 2011 - English Dictionary Database
- 2010 - New Age Dictionary Database
- 1913 - Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
- 1919 - The Winston Simplified Dictionary
- 1899 - The american dictionary of the english language.
- 1894 - The Clarendon dictionary
- 1919 - The Concise Standard Dictionary of the English Language
- 1914 - Nuttall's Standard dictionary of the English language
- 1874 - Etymological and pronouncing dictionary of the English language
- 1871 - The Cabinet Dictionary of the English Language
- 1790 - A Complete Dictionary of the English Language
Sort: Oldest first
By Princeton University
By DataStellar Co., Ltd
By Oddity Software
By Noah Webster.
A push or thrust delivered by the head of an animal; as, the butt of a goat; the thickerr end of anything; a target; an embankment back of a target to stop bullets; that at which anything is aimed; therefore, one at whom jest or ridicule is directed; as, the butt of a joke; a large cask. chiefly for wine; a certain amount of wine in a cask, usually 126 gallons.
By William Dodge Lewis, Edgar Arthur Singer
By Daniel Lyons
By William Hand Browne, Samuel Stehman Haldeman
By James Champlin Fernald
By Nuttall, P.Austin.
By Stormonth, James, Phelp, P. H.
n. [French] The larger end of a thing, as of timber; a limit;â€”a mark to be shot at;â€”one at whom ridicule, jests, or contempt age directed;â€”a push or thrust given in fencing or by the head of an animal;â€”a large cask, also called a pipe;â€”the thickest and stoutest part of tanned ox-hides;â€”a kind of hingeâ€”used in hanging doors, &c.;â€”a piece of land left unploughed;â€”the metal ring at the end of the hose of a fire-engine.
Word of the day
HLA A2 Antigen
- Human histocompatibility (HLA) surface encoded by locus on chromosome 6. The HLA-A2 antigen is associated with recognition of INFLUENZA A VIRUS.